How To Stretch: Two Methods

I offer two strategies on how to stretch your comfort zone. Some stretches are planned, others are spontaneous (unplanned/impromptu).

Planned.
Plan to engage in a new activity. "I will set a goal to do X by the end of the week." This gives you time to prepare and visualize your success.

Spontaneous.
See an opportunity and go for it. Don't wait around thinking about it or hoping it will come back another day.

I like to be spontaneous, although I did plan the skydiving. I "Just Did It!" Another suggestion is to experience mini-stretches to start, slowly building your confidence to stretch. Don't feel you have to jump out of an airplane tomorrow.

Let me share another real-world example of how the "Just Did It!" attitude coupled with SMART goals worked in harmony to achieve the desired result of stretching the comfort zone. While facilitating a customer service seminar, I used the example of bungy cord jumping as a classic comfort-zone stretch and asked if anyone had experienced it. The only response was from Lawrence, aka "Slim." He said he intended to do it but was too broke (using the financial angle to procrastinate). A bungy jumping facility was available only minutes away. My cofacilitator agreed it would be appropriate to take Slim and the group on a little field trip. The rest of the group and I kicked in the cash required for Slim to make the jump.

Slim jumped willingly. He "Just Did It!" It was great to watch discomfort of discipline in action. Within two hours of Slim's mentioning he wanted to do it we removed the barrier and he did it. We returned to the seminar and of course Slim didn't learn a darn thing the rest of the day. He was bug-eyed and as high as a kite, intoxicated by his new experience. He got the T-shirt (and the video). He couldn't wait to share his new experience with his wife and friends. He was so proud to say, "I Just Did It!" The same type of opportunities are open to you.

What makes experiencing a stretch so attractive is that my informal research suggests that approximately 90% of the time people respond to their new experience by saying, "Wow, that was great. I'd do it again." Most people do it again because the next time is simply repetition, replacing the initial fear with enjoyment. What Slim and countless others have learned is this: Fear dissolves by way of participation. There is no other way. Nonparticipants live with fear, anxiety, stress, and well-rehearsed excuses. This baggage spills into your career, eroding your enthusiasm, your drive, and your commitment. There are no limitations to the frequency of stretching and experiencing new things. All you need is permission from yourself. My next personal comfort-zone goal is scuba diving. I don't feel particularly comfortable under water but it's something I plan to pursue. My son Stephen is a certified scuba diver and he tells me, "It's awesome." After all I have a 90% chance of enjoying it.

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

0 comments: