Ten Follow-Up Letters

Don't underestimate the power of the humble thank-you note. Thank-you notes clearly indicate to the recipients that you've made an effort to think about them and thank them for their support. Consider the last time you received a handwritten invitation or note of thanks. Feels good, doesn't it? You can use thank-you notes for a variety of occasions. They confirm your commitment and help solidify your business relationship, making it more difficult for your competitors to replace you. Use handwritten notes for just about any situation or occasion. I offer you these ten suggestions for follow-up notes. Feel free to modify or tailor these notes to your specific situation. I offer these as guidelines only.

  1. After a purchase. Thank you for giving me the opportunity of providing you with the benefits of our product. I am confident that you will be happy with your investment and I will endeavor to offer excellent follow-up service. I do appreciate your support.
  2. A first meeting. Thank you for taking the time to meet with me. I enjoyed our visit and the opportunity to learn more about your business. I look forward to our next meeting.
  3. Telephone contact. Thank you for taking the time to chat with me on the telephone.You'll soon receive all the information we discussed. I look forward to following up with you next week to discuss the details of our proposal and the possibility of a win-win agreement.
  4. After a presentation/demonstration. Thank you for the opportunity to showcase our products and services to you (and to your committee). My presentation highlighted the key benefits of our product and outlined the mutual benefits of an association of our firms. I look forward to our follow-up meeting next Wednesday at 2:30 PM. See you then.
  5. A turndown or they buy from someone else. Thank you for taking the time to analyze my proposal. I regret being unable, at this time, to demonstrate our capabilities. However, we are constantly responding to our customers' expectations and to new trends, developments, and changes in our industry. Thus, I will keep in touch with the hope that in the near future we will be able to do business. This classy tactic clearly shows your professionalism and encourages the customer to seriously consider you for next time. A great tactic to become #2.
  6. A gatekeeper. Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to meet with Mr. Smith. Our meeting was productive and there may be an opportunity for our companies to do business. I will let you know how things work out.
  7. A referral. Thank you for the valuable referral. I look forward to meeting with Ms. Jones. You can rest assured that I will exercise the same level of professionalism that I have with you. I will let you know how things work out.
  8. A turndown but they offer to give a referral. Thank you for your generous offer to provide me with a referral. I am saddened to hear your immediate plans do not include us but I will keep you posted on new services that may benefit you.
  9. An anniversary. Thank you. It's with pleasure that I send this note on the one-year anniversary of your patronage. Your support is appreciated—clients like you contribute to our success. I have enclosed an update on our latest advancements and I'll give you a call next week to discuss them further.
  10. A cold call. Thank you for making the time to chat with me when I visited your office recently. I learned a great deal about your business needs and expectations. I look forward to following up with your people next week. I'll stay in touch.

Follow these six suggestions to maximize the impact of your note:
  1. Handwritten. Personalize it with your own handwriting. If your penmanship is sloppy, write slower.
  2. Don't use company letterhead. Buy some nice stationary that doesn't scream "business letter." It must be a personal gesture.
  3. Handwrite the envelope too. Personalize the whole package.
  4. Buy stamps. Use a stamp. Don't put it through a mailing machine. A typed envelope with a corporate stamp on it takes away from the personal touch. It also looks lazy.
  5. Include your business card. It clearly indicates who this note is from. A handwritten note simply signed by you may cause confusion or uncertainty as to the sender. Your customer may not know you all that well—yet.
  6. Don't expect a response. Although it may seem your efforts have gone unnoticed, your customers do appreciate it. In these busy times, customers simply don't have time to pick up the phone and thank you. I once sent a note and heard nothing back but the next time I made a call my note was displayed on her credenza.

Tim Commandment #9
Business will stay where it's appreciated.

Ask: How have I demonstrated my appreciation?



Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

0 comments: